Habush Habush and Rottier

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Comment from someone Formerly Of Epic

I'm a former employee with with several questions about the non-compete.

1 - Applying to management positions at firms like IBM, Accenture & Deloitte -- will these companies know I have a non-compete if I don't tell them?
2 - Applying to management positions at firms like IBM, Accenture & Deloitte -- if I tell them in the application I have a non-compete, might they hire me anyway, e.g. they ask me what the non-compete is, and I lie that it strictly forbids me from EMR jobs? Or are any known to hire ex-Epics before 1 year, in spite of the non compete?
3 - Same question as 1, but what if I'm applying for entry level "technology consultant" positions (the kind that, as entry level, don't specify in the job description whether it's EMR or something totally different)
4 - Same question as 2, but what if I'm applying for entry level "technology consultant" positions
~~~
1-IBM, Accenture, and Deloitte all know about the non-compete. They will ask you about it, and if they don't ask you about it immediately, when do they do ask you'll be in trouble. Misrepresenting yourself on a resume has some consequences.
2-Honestly, I don't know. If anyone finds out, leave a comment. I had luck with a non-Epic-partnered vendor getting a job at a hospital helpdesk. It was far enough outside of Epic to escape their notice, but close enough to keep my knowledge relatively current.
3-By all means, go for it.
4-See Response 2.

It is better to be honest about your non-compete. Those that don't care will let you know, and those that do will keep track of you and try to recruit you when the non-compete expires. If you lie about anything, that can be grounds for termination and possibly legal action.

I had good luck with Technisource in Waunakee/Milwaukee. If you apply there or if they approach you, leave a comment here and I'll put in a good word with the Technisource honchos. Comments go to my email first, and I read my email a lot more often (several times a day) than I update this site.

Once the non-compete expires, I've got a list of good recruiters and bad recruiters. That's something for a future post though.

7 comments:

  1. Would you recommend applying to a firm that doesn't honor the non-compete agreement or work as a contractor(1099)? Will either one get you blacklisted by Epic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're working with Epic software in either capacity, the blacklist will probably get you--except if you're at one of the few Epic customers that don't care about the non-compete. (Leave a comment with your email address--I won't publish that comment; I'll just send you an email with the customers I know of who don't honor it.)

    In general, I prefer to work with an established contracting firm primarily because I don't want the hassle of dealing with my own 1099 tax/sole proprietor stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've applied and got an interview with another EMR vendor although my non-compete doesn't expire until March 2013. Would Epic's non-compete apply to this company since they're in the business of EMRs, although they don't work with Epic software at all? Just curious since I'm filling out some questionnaires prior to the interview and I don't know what to put for the question asking if I have a current non-compete that could impact my ability to work in the position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous 7/12:
    Last I checked, other EMR vendors are explicitly called out in Epic's non-compete. Honesty is the best policy with job applications and interviews, so if you want to proceed with this, do it at your own risk. You may not get the job (a possibility at the best of times), but they may like you so much that they're willing to wait until the non-compete ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, were you fired or did you leave on your own? I was fired and am nervous that I will be fired from this new position if it gets back to our Epic counterpart

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous 8/10:

    I myself was fired. When interviewers ask, I say "Epic asked me to leave. No reason was given." It's truthful, but somehow doesn't sound as bad as "They fired me." Clients of Epic know that that's just how Judy rolls, so usually that's good enough for them. I haven't had any luck with non-Epic work, so maybe another reader can chime in with a response to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By now, almost anyone in the IT world knows about the turnover at Epic, so you're probably okay saying you left on your own terms. Epic does not give (to my knowledge) any information about your time there other than dates of employment and confirming final salary.

    ReplyDelete